I had these little triangle squares leftovers and they kept asking me to make them into something. Eventually I sewed them into a rectangle and practices some thin line quilting on them. For several days they laid around just like that and I wondered what to do with them next. When I happened across a tutorial on inserting zippers into quilted things, I knew they would be happy as a little zippered bag.
Here are a couple big shells I made for our master bedroom. The pieces are fused and machine stitched.
I made these little wall quilts for church. This is the first time I tried facing the edges instead of sewing on binding. I think it works well.
Here they are installed.
The first two quilts are both made with a block called ‘scrappy trip’ that I saw on Bonnie Hunter’s site, Quiltville.com. I love this block. It is quick and easy but looks complex. I used up almost all of my fruit and veggie fat quarters in the first one and blended a lot of ‘odds-and-ends’ fat quarters in the second one. These show just two of the many layout possibilities. I am thinking of red white and blue in the next one.
Here are the few quilts I finished last year for Quilts of Valor. I also sewed the binding on several others that were pieced and quilted by others.
[Note: this post has been gathering dust as a draft since July 2016]
I guess I took a vacation from posting. It always seems like I never get much accomplished, but when you look at everything all at once it looks like a lot. Here is a summary.
From the leftover pieces of Still Life on Caffeine I made these little quilts. I sewed casings around the edges and inserted elastic so they could snugly fit on top of our TV trays.
I also added some beautiful mango colored fabric to the rest of the leftovers and made this little quilt. Once it gets quilted it will look great on the sofa in the living room.
A Quilt of Valor:
A pretty peacock for my sister:
Two more Quilts of Valor:
A yard sale find we (and when I say we, I mean Raymond) painted.
And a wall quilt for my sister’s windowless office.
The next post should start catching up.
I looked back through my pictures and found this arraignment of the fractured flowers with one set of flowers before all the cutting and sewing. The daisies show the original size of all the flower squares. Maybe that helps demonstrate the size difference from beginning to end.
I finally cut into my watermelon fabric and made some new pot holders for the kitchen. These are made just like those square coasters that everyone has been making for quite a while, except I start out with larger squares of fabric. These finish at about 6″ and are just big enough to grab the side of a hot dish coming out of the oven or the handle of a cast iron pan. We also use them a lot under a hot bowl of soup or oatmeal or a cold dish of ice cream. The colors are not quite as bright as the picture.
The second watermelon project was a new runner for the dining room table. I really like this, although I would make a few changes if I did it again. There will be lots more watermelon items turning up here shortly.
And to make one table runner do double duty, I put valentine fabric on the back.
And just like that, March’s productivity concludes.