Well, it has been a while since my last post. I have gotten a few things finished and a few further along, but haven’t gotten around to letting you know. I will try to get everything in one post, but it may be long.
Here is the weed whacker quilt assembled with its border:
I have the backing and batting folded up with the top and they are just awaiting quilting. I hope to have this ready by the first Wednesday in November so that I can turn it in as my second quilt for Project Linus. That will complete the Crazy Quilter’s president’s challenge for this year.
Affair of the Heart
I don’t think I have mentioned this before, so it will seem like a new project. I have had the book, Affair of the Heart by Aie Rossmann since before I left Florida. I saw her and her quilt on Simply Quilts and really loved her designs and bought the book as soon as I found it. Recently, it has been on my mind and I decided to work on it a little at a time. Here is a picture of her quilt from the book:
Isn’t that gorgeous!
Aie’s quilt has 36 – 6″ or 7″ blocks composed of hearts and lotus flowers on a black background with a pretty heart border. The bright colors seem to glow against the black background. Making all 36 blocks seems a little daunting to me. I studied the blocks and sorted them according to how many pieces in each block, then I decided to make some of the blocks double size and chose the ones with the higher piece count. The larger blocks will be arranged at the corners and center of a nine patch arrangement. The four side sections will be made up of four regular sized blocks each. I think that will look nice for a wall hanging. I don’t know what to do about a border yet, but there is plenty of time to figure that out.
So far, I have three of the large blocks done. They are about 16″ square. I actually pieced the first one early this spring, and worked on it now and again. Once it was finished and hanging on the design wall, I felt more energized about the next blocks and picked up the pace a bit. Here are the ones I have so far:
This is block #22 and it has the most pieces at 40. All of the blocks also have embroidery — gold hearts and curly cues that really make the applique pop. I won’t do the embroidery till after the quilting, but I think I will use gold beads instead of floss. Here is a picture of this same block from the book showing the embroidery:
Wouldn’t that look great with beadwork?
Here is the second block I have finished and the original block from the book:
It is block 3 in the book and has 39 pieces.
I just finished the third block, which is block #27 and has 33 pieces. The embroidery will really enhance the applique. Here is mine and the one from the book:
Here is my fourth pair of socks that I have knit. I am using the same pattern that I learned in the class, and really enjoy making them. I just hope I can bring myself to wear them when the weather gets cooler.
I started another pair using a skein of worsted weight yarn that I happened to have, just to see how they would come out. Because the stitches are bigger and fewer, the first sock worked up really fast. I think I spent a couple hours for three days and had the first sock done. Here is a picture of it:
for this sock, I continued the ribbing on the top of the sock from the cuff to the toe. The yarn is very soft and snuggly and would be great for around the house. I made a big mistake on this one though. I was so excited to have it finished, that I hurried and wove in the ends at the toe and the beginning, then snipped off the extra yarn so I could try the sock on. It fits perfectly, but when I took it off I found a big hole in the cuff:
Isn’t that terrible! I realized that when I snipped the extra yarn I must have also snipped one of the stitches and when I pulled the sock on it started to run. I am hoping I can mend it, but so far have not tried. I started another pair of socks with regular sock yarn while I am deciding what to do with this one. I don’t have pictures of the new pair yet.
Block of the Month:
Here is my latest block for the Crazy Quilter’s block of the month. It is either September or October. It was a little tricky, but I am happy with the result.
This is a cuddle quilt for the Choo Choo Quilters. I brought home the kit from the cuddle quilt workshop in September and got the blocks put together, added the border, quilted and bound the quilt. It was fun. I brought home three other cuddle quilts – two just needed the binding and the fourth needs quilted. I hope to get it done this week.
Ok, that is enough for one post. I have a couple more things, but will wait and put them in the next post.