Seems like each month finds me busier than the last with little to show as far as finishes. Well, here is what I have been up to:
I made this sewing vest for my Chattanooga Quilter’s guild exchange gift. It is based on a pattern called the “Mae West Bomber Vest” and has a bunch of pockets on the inside and outside to hold all your tools and even a pocket for scraps. I altered the pin cushion from a plain square pillow of fabric to the little hexie flower, but the rest is just like the pattern.
I was so happy that I had this button in my stash — it looks like a rolled up measuring tape and goes with the sewing fabric perfectly.
My friend Vicky got the vest and I think she liked it.
Paper Pieced Place Mats
I have been enjoying taking a paper piecing class taught by my friend Denise. We met once a week for eight weeks ending last Thursday.
Here are my second set of place mats — winter of course. I had trouble with the nine patches in the one and decided to skip them in the other. The trees were a little tricky, but I got them done. The snowflakes are fused applique on a paper pieced snowball block. These place mats are not quilted yet.
are not quite assembled, but the paper piecing is done. I decided that rather than make two of each of these that I could make one of each and they would serve as our spring and summer set. That little flower block seemed to take forever, so one is enough.
Birds and bees — a fine combination. I will probably take one of the bees and one of the cardinals and make them into coasters.
I started a new hand applique project – a kit by Jan Patek called “Spiced Pumpkin.” The picture shows the center block. When completed it will be about 40″ square. Civil War reproduction fabric is a different style than I usually use, but I think this wall hanging will be a great addition to the autumn decor. I have the leaves and one of the vines stitched down already.
I made these heart pot holders for my friend, Vicky’s, birthday gift and managed to get them to her only about a week late.
Here is a new hexie experiment in progress. I had a bundle of fat quarters of the same print in different colors and thought they might work for this with a solid grey thrown in for balance. Not sure what I think about it yet.
Quilt of Valor
I sewed a bunch of strips together in this red white and blue lasagna quilt. It needs nice solid borders, probably navy blue which I hope will calm down all the action of the fabrics and make a quilt that will comfort a veteran.
Well, that pretty much catches me up for now. I hope your spring is full of love and creativity.