At the March meeting of the Chattanooga Modern Quilt guild we had a sew- in and learned to make this ginormous bag. I love mine. It is so big I can carry a couple of big quilts in it or a lot of different projects. I used a ‘cheater’ fabric that was printed to look like hexagons sewn together for the body and the straps are some really old fabric that I found in my stash that almost perfectly matches one of the hexies in the print. I thought that was very cool. I tried something new with this bag — I used a satin fabric for the lining. I think that will make it a lot easier to put things in and take them out because it will cut down on the friction.
Janet found this idea at
so if you want to see how to make one just click (or cut and paste if the clicky thing doesn’t work).
Pizza Box Blocks
After the Chattanooga Quilters guild missed two meetings because of winter weather, we finally got together in March and got to finish up the Pizza Box Challenge that we had been working on throughout 2013. Everyone got their pizza boxes back and we got to see the blocks all together. Here are the ones that were in my box:
Aren’t they wonderful!
And here they are with the extra ones I made during the year. I wanted to be sure the pattern worked before using someone elses fabrics. That gives me twice as many blocks to play with and this way, I can remember everyone who made blocks for me as well as what blocks I made for others. This picture shows them lined up the usual way.
This one shows them arranged on-point. Either way will look very good with a little sashing and a border or two. Right now though I think I like the on point version better. It will take a while to decide on placement of the blocks, but that will be fun when I get to it.
This was such a fun project. I love my new blocks and am pretty amazed at how much care was put into each one. They will become a treasured quilt that I will enjoy sleeping under.
I probably mentioned when this round robin began that Lauren wrote a cute murder mystery story to go with the block exchange. Each month she told us about a different potential killer and his or her motive for committing the crime. It added an extra dimension that kept us interested. This month the mystery was solved and the culprit was taken into custody. Great job Lauren!
I had an idea to move things around in the studio and after a couple of days of trying to ignore it I gave in. Maybe it is that spring cleaning urge. I switched the cutting table, the design wall, some plastic drawer and ironing board around. I think it is nice to change things up every now and again, and I am always trying to find that perfect arrangement. Here are some pictures of the new look.
The ironing board and design wall where here where then cutting table is now.
The design wall is where some plastic drawers were.
The ironing board and plastic drawers are where the cutting table and its pegboard of tools were.
One more look, this time from the door looking in.