Here are a few of the things I have been working on this month. There are more, but you will have to wait till March to see them. I had some things ready to take for show and tell at the Chattanooga Quilters guild this month, but the bad weather cancelled the meeting. So after next meeting, I can share the pics. For now, this will have to do.
Every month, the Modern Quilt guild has a lottery block challenge. If you make and turn in one of the designated blocks for that month, you get a chance at winning them all! I really liked this modern twist on the Dresden plate block so I made this version for the lottery.
Here are the blocks I won! They are all very different in style and color. Somehow I have to put them together into a quilt top. I am still thinking about it and it may take a while, but I love them and the challenge.
This is a picture of my little design wall. The big one is packed away and I am just using the smaller one. My sister gave me this gray checked fitted sheet and I was going to sew it and cut it to fit the PVC pipes that form the frame of my design wall so I could use the lines on the fabric to help make sure the pieces I put on the wall were straight. Turns out I was able to slip it right over the frame without any cutting or sewing. Cool! I will probably take it down and do the cut and sew thing to straighten the lines a little, but for now, this is working fine.
February for me is all about Valentine’s day and this year I made new covers for our TV tables. I used leftover pieces from another Valentine quilt and added borders till they was big enough. Then I quilted the dickens out of them, which turns out to be wasted since the fabric is so busy that it doesn’t show well. I left a heart-shaped bit in the center unquilted so it would puff up a little and you can almost see it in this picture. To finish, I added casings and ran elastic around the edges so they would stay snug on the tables.
Oh, and I made some changes on my blog pages. I was curious to see just how productive I am during the year, so I went back through my photos and sorted out all the actually finished projects for each year. Instead of making them blog entries, I decided to make a page for each year. It is interesting to look through the years and see just what got done.
It is also interesting to note that there are fewer and fewer things the further back I look. Partly that is because I didn’t have access to a digital camera way back then and took few pictures of projects that would need to be developed. Once I got a scanner though and figured out how to use it, I was able to scan smaller things, although the quality of those pictures are not that great. Then again, I started making traditional quilts around 2001 or 2002. Before that (in the early 90s) it was just crazy quilt projects. And before that was an assortment of needlework and crafts that I dabbled in for a while. Nothing has been as captivating and intriguing as quilt making.
I don’t think the pages are complete. Maybe they never will be. Every time I look through the pictures I have saved on my computer, I notice something out-of-place that I missed, and I add it to the appropriate year’s page. And I have a few boxes of ‘real’ photos that are packed away. When I get them out there may be a few more additions to the history pages.