I wrote this post yesterday and posted it — or thought that I did. Turns out that somehow I deleted it right after the posting. A couple of people on Facebook saw it, but then it was gone. So here it is again.
I made this little bag for my friend Sharon’s birthday. This picture was taken before I put the zipper on top. Somehow I forgot to take one of it completed. Maybe I will get a chance next time she and I are together.
This bag was assembled differently. I wanted to put hexies on the outside, but didn’t want to fiddle with lining them up along the side seams, so instead I sewed the hexies into a ring and sewed the background into a tube to fit it. I didn’t quilt it at all because it is small enough to be too cumbersome to fit under the sewing machine. If I had started sooner I probably could have hand-quilted it, but this is what I did and I think it turned out fine. Sharon said she likes it and that is the important thing.
I think I showed this before — can you see the colors spiraling from the center out?
I also showed you a few of these hexie hearts before, and now I have six of them. Don’t they look pretty in a circle like that?
Next, I put the spiral and hearts together. Here is what it looked like after that:
If I were to do this again, I think I would stick with one value of the colors instead of mixing them. I think the spiral would be more visible that way. Or I might start with the lightest fabrics in the center and progress through medium and darker shades toward the outside with the hearts being outlined in the darkest fabrics. That could be interesting. Wouldn’t this design look interesting in shades of one color? I can see it in browns. Hmm, I think I have some brown hexies. Maybe that will be next.
Now, I am filling in the corners. I tried a few neutral fabrics as a background, but couldn’t find anything in my stash that was just right. Instead, I decided to use the complimentary colors (red & green, blue & orange, violet & yellow) next to each other in the corners. This picture shows the red and green corners finished and the yellow nearly finished.
I work on this in the evenings while we are watching television.
When it is finished it will be about 40″ across and look like a big hexagon. I am debating on whether to add a row of half-hexies around the outer edge, maybe in black or white, to create a straight edge for binding, but I may leave it jagged.
That’s pretty much what I wrote yesterday. Sorry to those of you who already saw it and had to read it again.