I don’t know where the time goes, but I find myself behind again. Here is a cuddle quilt I started at the February meeting of Chattanooga Quilt Guild. I didn’t get it finished that day, but managed to turn it in at the March meeting.
For no reason at all, my sister sent us this beautiful wall sculpture of ginkgo leaves. I have always loved ginkgos because the leaves are so unusual. Doesn’t it look great above the TV? I have the best sister in the world!
I finished another pair of socks early this month — the fifteenth pair since I learned how to knit them. I think this is the fifth pair that is mostly pink. Hmmm, do I detect a trend?
I got another block done on Pushing Up Spring:
This is block #11; only five more to go! This is going to be such a bright happy quilt.
Here are some pictures of a sewing caddy especially for applique projects. My friend, Vicky K., came up with the design and was kind enough to explain how she did it so I could make one of my own. It is very a very handy way to carry a project with you and have everything you need at hand. Here it is all ready to go:
Here it is out of the container and ready to stitch. There are pegs to hold eight spools of thread, a pin cushion to hold needles, and special spots to hold scissors and a needle threader so you don’t have to dig around to find them. I also like that I can put any scraps of thread or fabric in the bottom of the container to dispose of at home so I won’t leave any mess behind. There is even room to store the folded up block inside the container either under or on top of the caddy. I love this. Thanks Vicky!
Here are my pizza box blocks for March. The red one is the practice one and the other one is for Denise H. The requirement for this block was to have a four patch.
Here are Sandi S. and Sharon G. at my house a couple weeks ago. We had a great visit as usual and shared a ton of ideas. I love having quilting friends over. This is actually the second time Sharon and Sandi came over since the studio moved downstairs, but I didn’t think to take a picture before now. Vicky K. came over once too and we had a lovely time.
In honor of the Irish holiday this month, I made some quilted mats to go on our TV trays. I used some of the crumb blocks that I made a while back and just sewed them together till they were the right size. Then I did a little straight line quilting and finished the edges. My plan is to have different mats for the different seasons and holidays. The fabric on the back of these two is a snowy woodland scene that will be great for the winter months. For February, I used our Valentine place mats, but they are smaller that the tray tops. I like this size much better.
More knitting ahead: After I finished the beige tweedy socks that I tried as an experiment with knitting worsted weight yarn, Raymond expressed an interest in having a pair like them. I searched around and found a pattern that I though might work on Ravelry.com called ‘sasquatch slipper socks.” They are made using two strands of worsted weight yarn together so you can imagine how thick and warm they are. Since the yarn is so much bigger, these socks knitted up a lot faster, and Raymond is happy with the result. I took a picture of mine and his together so you can get an idea of the difference in size.
Are you still with me? What a long post this has become. Well, hang in for a little longer and I promise not to take up too much more of your time.
My chosen UFO to have finished for the March guild meeting is one I started several years ago and set aside and forgot. I got the idea from Scraps by Judy Martin. The quilt she made is called Newport Beach and is with lots of bright fabrics on a white background with a darker fabric that give the impression of dimension. I decided to use up some of my brown fabrics. The basic blocks start with a three-inch square of brown fabric that look like this:
In Judy’s quilt the different colors are scattered around randomly and my original idea was to do that too. When I dug out the blocks to start working on them for the UFO finish, I decided that I might like it better if the same fabrics were set together, and decided to make nine patches of the smaller blocks with a narrow sashing between to emphasize the shadow. I got a lot of blocks done but not in time for the March meeting. Since then though I have assembled twenty-five blocks. Here they are all together:
Each shade of brown with its nine sections ends up around 14″ square. I haven’t sewn the larger blocks together yet. Pretty cool, eh? The next idea I have is to separate the blocks with a 2″ sashing. Today, I made a few just to see how they look. I think the space between will add a nice contrast to the busy blocks. Raymond likes them all scrunched together better, so I am giving some more thought to it before I decide which way to go. My plan is to make this big enough for the master bed which is king sized, and I want us both to like it. Which do you prefer?
I don’t think I will have this done in time for the April meeting either.
The other day, I dug out this map of the world panel and made a quick quilt out of it for Project Linus. I probably should have added borders, but then it would have been too big for the bit of batting I had for it and I would have had to wait to get to the store for more. It is big enough for a kid as it is, and ‘finished is better than perfect.’
Finally, I though I should show you the latest addition to my fancy desk. We added two shelves to the center part that provide a lot more space to store this and that. I have still been sorting and re-arranging things, but this is the only new thing.
That’s all for now. Happy Day!