The Crazy Quilters Guild that I belong to has several community service projects and one of them is making quilts for Project Linus. This year, our president challenged us to make two quilts each for Linus. At the beginning of the year, we all drew a paper out of a bag that had a color or fabric pattern (stripes, plaid, theme, etc.) on it and we were challenged to make one quilt with at least 60% of whatever we drew from the bag. This was to give us the opportunity to work with fabric we don’t usually use. I drew the color yellow, so I got to make a yellow quilt.
I had a couple yards of a yellow with stripes of alphabet letters and decided to use that. Then I found a nice mottled yellow to go with it. I cut the first fabric into blocks and sashed them with the second yellow with the idea that the stripes in the print would end up looking like a rail fence block. I had it all cut and sewed a few months ago, but didn’t get around to quilting and binding it till this last weekend when I realized that the next guild meeting was coming up. Yesterday, I finished sewing the binding on and today I will wash it and have it ready to turn in at the meeting tomorrow. Here are a couple pictures:
it measures 48″x58,” and the back is a solid yellow flannel and it will be a very snuggly quilt for whomever gets it. Now I have one more to make to complete the challenge — the next one can be any fabric I want.
The local chapter of Project Linus meets a couple times a month to collect quilts and fleece blankets that have been made and to sew official Project Linus labels onto them. I try to make one meeting a month. It is fun and feels good to be useful.