Another project I have been working on is placemats for our new kitchen. After a long deliberation, I decided to use some red-orange-yellow gradation fabric that I got a while ago. Along with this fabric, I have had three different red-orange-yellow prints for a while gathered together waiting for a project. There was a yard of each one, so I though they would go well with the solid. And it was very cool that they all came from my stash. I am trying to use as much as I can from stash.
I found this pattern that seemed easy enough for me in Crafts To Decorate Your Home by Better Homes and Gardens, copyright 1986. I took my time with each step of measuring hoping to avoid mistakes. As I assembled all the pieces, I realized that the pattern had a couple of it’s own mistakes. Fortunately, I found them before it was too late.
At this moment, two of the placemats are completely done. We had dinner on them last night. They sure brighten up the kitchen. Three are done except for the binding being folded to the back and stitched down. I ran short of red fabric for the binding on the last one and I had to cut another hunk which is waiting to be washed. I needed to cut more anyway to make the matching napkins which will be phase II of this project. I also plan to make some oven mits and pot holders from the same fabric combination. I may even make a valance for the kitchen window.